Health Equity Research Experience
Thank you for your interest in the Health Equity Research Experience at Mayo Clinic. The 2023 application period is now closed.
Outstanding undergraduates interested in examining health equity through hands-on research are encouraged to apply for a new 10-week summer program at Mayo Clinic. Students participating in the Health Equity Research Experience will have the opportunity to address health disparities within a supportive community of other undergraduates, including Illinois SURF, and receiving support from a faculty mentor.
Selected students will be fully immersed in the research and culture of a major medical center with top-notch scientists. Two Illinois undergrads will be selected for the 2023 pilot program, made possible by the Mayo Clinic & Illinois Alliance and the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Institute.
Eligibility and Preference
Illinois students in their sophomore or junior year, with a minimum 3.0 GPA, who are considering a research career focused on addressing health disparities are eligible to apply.
Preference is given to students whose background reflects a commitment to health equity.
$6,000 will be awarded by the Mayo Clinic & Illinois Alliance to cover living expenses during the 10-week program.
- To apply, students need to complete an application and upload a personal statement and current transcript or web academic history. The 2023 application period has closed.
- A letter of recommendation is required from a reference at or above the graduate level, such as research mentors, professors, instructors, or advisors.
- The top 5 applicants will be invited to interview with the selection committee, and 2 students will be selected for the Health Equity Research Experience.
- Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision on April 21.
- Application deadline - March 27
- Finalist interviews - Mid April
- Award notification - April 21
- Summer 2023 Program - May 30 – August 4, 2023