Health Equity Research Experience
Outstanding undergraduates interested in examining health equity through hands-on research are encouraged to apply for a 10-week summer program at Mayo Clinic. Students participating in the Health Equity Research Experience will be matched with a faculty mentor and fully immersed in the research and culture of a major medical center with top-notch scientists.
Two Illinois undergrads will be selected for the 2024 program, made possible by the Mayo Clinic & Illinois Alliance and the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Institute. Selected students will participate in a program orientation, poster session, and celebration alongside Illinois students selected for the Mayo Clinic Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program.
Eligibility and Preference
Illinois students in their sophomore or junior year, with a minimum 3.0 GPA, who are considering a research career focused on addressing health disparities are eligible to apply.
Preference is given to students whose background reflects a commitment to health equity.
$6,000 will be awarded by the Mayo Clinic & Illinois Alliance to cover living expenses during the 10-week program.
- To apply, students must complete an application and upload a personal statement and current transcript or web academic history by January 22, 2024.
- A letter of recommendation is required from a reference at or above the graduate level, such as research mentors, professors, instructors, or advisors.
- The top 5 applicants will be invited to interview with the selection committee, and 2 students will be selected for the Health Equity Research Experience.
- Applicants will be notified of the committee's decision on February 16, 2024.
- Application deadline - January 22, 2024
- Finalist interviews - February 1-2, 2024
- Award notification - February 16, 2024
- Summer 2023 Program - May 28 - August 2, 2024